Skip to main content

Anxiety attack

 I had my second attack in less than a week.  Dad was released today.  I spoke with the doctor this morning and it sounded like he was okay to go back to the home.

Most of my morning was spent dealing with all this.  The nurses called multiple times while I was in the shower.

I got out, spoke with them.  Then I went for a walk to try and calm down.  It didn't help.  All I thought about on my walk was having to pick him up and take him back to the "care" home.  

When I got home there was another message on the phone.

I emailed the home when I got back hoping they could deal with it.  No response.

I listened to the message and called.  They wanted to know which pharmacy was his.

I texted the home and asked if they could pick him up.

I have this terrible pain in my chest from anxiety.  It's almost always there.  

The nurse called at 11.

"Hi your dad is ready to go.  How are you ?"

Me "I'm fine....I'm on the verge of a anxiety attack.   How are you?" (Crying).

We decided that the hospital would arrange a taxi.

I texted the home and was told the following

He CANNOT arrive by taxi

His Meds must be here before he arrives!

At this point I am no closer to calming down.

My morning is fucked.  

I can't do this anymore.

I booked another therapy session.

Nothing absolutely nothing helps at all.  Therapy didn't, booze doesn't, smoking doesn't.  I can't get my mind off it .  Walking helps sometimes.

I spoke with everyone and arranged for the home to pick him up.  I am 40 minutes away and they are six minutes.

So the last two days have been hell.  If he has another episode I will have to pick him up again.  

The last three weeks on my days off I spend most of them dealing with this or distracting myself.  

I don't recover, I don't feel any better.  If anything I'm more anxious when I go back to work because nothing is in my control at all.

I need help.  Not just from my wife.  I need to not be here.  I can't keep this cycle going.  

I can't keep worrying.

I can't keep sitting and waiting.

I can't talk to this fucking home.

I can't talk to doctors anymore that are not doing anything.

I can't keep pretending I am okay.  The candle is burning at both ends.

I fully understand that this is extremely selfish.  I also understand that everyone says take care of yourself.

How?

Phone is ringing all morning and it hasn't stopped since he got here.

The only time I sleep is when I pass out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes for assessment

 I made some notes for the assessment folks, basic changes in the way he is.  I should note, this is rather depressing.  He gets fixated on something, and that is the only thing for a week or more.  At some point it changes to a new thing.  Examples include      • Using the phone, calling anyone in his phone book no matter that time of day (or day for that matter.  He calls people when they are at work).      • Trying to get a job.           ◦ Numerous times he’s gone to Fresh co, thinking he picked up an application, only to be sent home with a scene card membership form.       • Trying to sell his car.  (he doesn’t remember doing.  He believes the government took his license and car away).   He doesn’t know our names.  He thinks I am his brother.  He believes my wife is my sister somedays.  Other days just a relative.  He calls me “buddy” and her “dear”.  A few months ago, he woke up crying.  He told me that he didn’t have any idea who we were.   He is continually confused as to what

The assessment

Yesterday we finally got the assessment done.  Well the preliminary version.  It's been six months.  A nice fellow came by our house and spoke with Dad for about 45 minutes.  It started off with medical history, and a few memory questions here and there.  I was on the fence about wether it should be all three of us, or only myself and Dad.  I decided it was in his best interest to just have me there.   Once we got past the preliminary questions, we moved on to memory questions.  While I was fully aware that he was having some troubles, when it's right in your face with a medical professional it becomes much more real.  Honestly these are easy questions.  Have you been married before (yes once, nope! twice actually Dad), what was your wifes name?  nothing.  Where are we?  What is the street address?  Nothing.  Who is this (points at me).  "That's my buddy!".  Yes but what is his name?  it starts with an S, or "Sh-eh".   At this point Dad was becoming agit

The story so far

I knew my Dad was having some issues every time I talked to him.  It got to the point where I was worrying all the time and feeling anxious about calling him.  He was attempting to sell his condo but was having some difficulty.  I finally decided that enough was enough and I sent him a letter stating that I was very worried about him and that when he sold his condo I would come and pick him up.  Every time I talked to him he told me "oh it's sold I'm moving back to Manitoba".   I may post the letter at some point. He had mentioned that he was going to move in with his "cousin" (family friend of his).   I was worried he would just show up on her door step.  Instead he showed up on ours, one morning.  March 24th to be exact.  The first few weeks he was here, he was pretty tired and broken.  We spent a lot of time trying to get the condo sale dealt with, and jumping from thing to thing trying to get him into a place.  That's when the road blocks started hap